1 cup superfine brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour or superfine sweet rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance Shortening Stick (1 stick)
1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick (1 stick)
8 to 10 tbsp ice cold water
3 cups peeled and sliced apples
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (depends on tartness of apples
1/4 cup tapioca or corn starch
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in shortening and buttery stick until the flour mixture is crumbly.
- Mix in water (a tablespoon at a time) until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough evenly and form two balls (Knead the dough only enough to form a ball. Too much kneading will make a tough crust).
- Wrap individually in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine apples, tapioca (or corn) starch, xanthem gum, cinnamon, and sugar. Toss until apples are well coated.
- Coat rolling pin in tapioca or corn starch. On large piece of parchment paper, roll out dough into a 10-12 in circle. Transfer dough and parchment paper onto cookie sheet.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of apple filling onto center of circle. Spread filling, leaving 2 inches of dough around the edge.
- Going around the circle, fold the extra dough over the filling (making a container). If the dough rips just pinch together to seal and keep going.
- Brush the top with melted dairy-free margarine and sprinkle liberally with sugar and cinnamon.
- Place in a preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it set for 10 minutes before serving.