Anything lemon flavored always makes me think of summer. Maybe it's the yellow color that is reminiscent of sunshine, or the refreshing tangy flavor. I developed this lemon cake when I was trying to create an allergen-free version of pound cake for my daughter. Rather than making a plain pound caked we decided to kick up the flavor with lots of lemons. The result is this moist, sweet-tart cake. If lemonade were a solid, this is what it would taste like. A great accompaniment to an afternoon tea.
- 1 ½ cup superfine brown rice flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthum gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup dairy free margarine-softened (Earth Balance)
- ¾ cup dairy free creamer or milk (Silk, So Delicious, Rice Dream)
- ½ cup plain dairy free yogurt (So Delicious)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (approx juice from 2 lemons)
- 2TBSP lemon zest (approx zest from 2 lemons)
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3 drops yellow food color (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line loaf pan with parchment paper
- In mixing bowl sift together brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthum gum
- In second bowl cream together sugar, margarine, dairy free creamer (or milk), dairy free yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, vanilla extract, food color
- Add ½ of the flour mixture to wet ingredients. Mix together until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture to the cake batter and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into lined loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 75 minutes.
- Test for doneness by insert toothpick into center of pan. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 2 TBSP dairy free margarine (softened)
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- Combine confectioners margarine lemon juice, and vanilla in bowl
- Using a whisk, beat until light and fluffy
- Slowly incorporate confectioners sugar
- Add more confectioners’ sugar, or lemon juice to adjust the consistency as desired.
- It should be thick enough to spread but not stiff.