"The Get Schooled in Anaphylaxis™ initiative offers practical information to educate the school community to help those at risk for life-threatening allergic reactions avoid their triggers, recognize anaphylaxis signs and symptoms and understand how to quickly get appropriate treatment and immediate medical care when anaphylaxis occurs.
During the first week of school, a Prince George County teen was stung by a bee while riding the bus home. The school bus driver alerted the County Health Services Coordinator, Theresa Isom, who was close by. Ms. Isom drove with a pack of Epipens to the location of the bus while emergency response teams were in route. The first shot of epinephrine did not resolve the student's symptoms so she had to administer a second shot. We are very grateful that this new law passed and it has already proven it's worth by saving this child's life after a bee sting. If there's anything we can learn from this experience, (while the stock epinephrine may not be transported) it is a great reminder to be sure to have your child's prescribed epinephrine on the bus as well.
You may view the news video below.http://wtvr.com/2012/09/12/father-says-quick-thinking-by-school-district-saved-15-year-old/
This page is an archive of previously published articles on food allergy related news posts.
Subscribe to our mailing list and receive these post in your email inbox!