We are happy to announce the opening of the official Loudoun Allergy Network (LAN) online store! We have created wonderfully designed awareness products for adults, children, home and more! Proceeds from sales will benefit our efforts to run programs for our members. Visit our store today! www.Cafepress.com/ShopLANOnline
This month marks the 1 year anniversary when tragedy hit a Phoenix family. 14 year old Anna Blue Aguirre experienced an anaphylactic reaction when she accidentally ate cereal with her allergen. She fell into a coma as a result. Anna's family continues to pray and hold vigil by her bedside. A Facebook page dedicated to Anna is updated as much as possible with any improvements to her recovery. Visit: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prayers-For-Anna-Blue-Aguirre-read-Info/206270706066316
Imagine coming home to find a brown bag attached to a flyer for a restaurant. Now imagine, the brown bag contained one of the deadliest allergens in the United States, peanuts. This was the reality for one mother who found, not only the brown bag of peanuts accompanying the flyer shoved between the door handles of the front door, but a hole in the bag as well. She was caring for her friend's house and as she removed the bag, according to her account, there were peanut shells "flying everywhere". An obvious bad marketing idea, the mother writes about her experience on her blog and the restaurant's food allergy policies.
There are some restaurants that are able to accommodate those with food allergies, and other that may pose as a high risk environment. A new restaurant, Urban BBQ Company, recently opened in the Ashburn Village Shopping Center, could pose as a risk for those suffering from peanut allergies. Upon approaching it's doors, you may be greeted with a "Peanuts Served Inside" warning sign. We are grateful that the management decided to post the warning so that those with peanut allergies can avoid the risk of exposure. Visit our Restaurants page under Resources to review restaurants that LAN members have visited with success. As always, please call the restaurant to discuss your specific needs.
Reactions at School Highlights the Need for Full Time RN's According to the National Association of School Nurses
UPDATED: To correct information:
Reactions at school highlights the need for registered nurses in all schools. This statement, coming from the National Association of School Nurses (NASN), after a wave of news reports of near fatal and fatal reactions at school. In addition to full time registered nurses, the need for available epinephrine injectors. The NASN supports the use of non-patient specific epinephrine for use in school settings. "We never want to see a child suffer - our message at moments like this is the need for a school nurse in the building all day, every day and the need for available epinephrine auto-injectors," said NASN President Linda Davis-Alldritt, MA, BSN, RN, FNASN, FASHA.
For more on this story: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/02/27/3904636/school-nurses-save-lives-with.html#storylink=cpy
This page is an archive of previously published articles on food allergy related news posts.
Subscribe to our mailing list and receive these post in your email inbox!