Valentine's Day is around the corner. Are you ready for the exchange of cards at your child's school? Many districts are now omitting candy from card exchanges to comply with their health and wellness initiatives. That doesn't mean the kids can't have a great card to offer (and receive)! In this month's issue of Family Fun Magazine, you can find crafty ideas for kids to make food free Valentine's Day cards for their friends. Here are a few examples we happen to love.
Loudoun Allergy Network (LAN) was recently contacted by the Richmond Food Allergy Support Group (RFASG) in an effort to bring legislation to Virginia school districts to stock non-student specific Epipens. Several RFASG family wrote to their legislators after the tragic death of 7 year old Amarria Johnson, due to a food allergic reaction. We are happy to announce that their actions resulted in the Virginia bill HB1156 being introduced and referred to the Education Committee... http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+ful+HB1156
Each year, FAAN recognizes individuals or organizations that have provided outstanding service or have made significant contributions to food allergy awareness, education, outreach or advocacy. The awards were named in honor of the daughter of Anne Muñoz-Furlong, FAAN's founder. If you know someone who has made an impact in the life of an individual with food or other anaphylactic allergies, please nominate them! You may nominate your child’s doctor, a teacher, a friend of the family, or even a group of people who have collectively helped make a difference.
Thanita Glancey, Loudoun Allergy Network (LAN) Chairperson, accompanied by LAN member, Donica H., had the opportunity to tour the WTOP Glass Enclosed Nerve Center. Thanita was interviewed by WTOP news reporter, Neal Augenstein, about her experiences with managing her daughter's food allergies. Listen to the 4 part series below.
Photo courtesy of ABC WIRC.com
It was the first day of the new year, 2012, when tragedy struck. The day had not even ended before a 7 year old Richmond, Virginia girl died at her elementary school. The cause, an allergic reaction. The little girl was in cardiac arrest when the fire crews arrived to her school. She died during transport to the hospital. The investigation is now in the hands of the medical examiner's office.
This page is an archive of previously published articles on food allergy related news posts.
Subscribe to our mailing list and receive these post in your email inbox!